- *Wells Fargo Donates $4.1 Million to National Urban League
- *Civil Rights Leaders Al Sharpton, Russel Simmons, and Marc Morial Join Rabbi Marc Schneier to Speak Out on Knockout Game Violence and the Targeting of Jews
- *Redeem the Dream: The National Urban League in 2013
- *Highlights from the 2013 Equal Opportunity Day Awards Dinner
- *Click Here for More Information on the National Urban League Policies, Research and Initiatives!
- *Read the 8 Point Plan: Educate, Employ and Empower
- *Urban League Calls for Vote on Watt Nomination
- *Statement from Marc H. Morial on End of Government Shutdown
- *New Report on Effects of 'Stand Your Ground' Laws
- *Marriott stay can make a difference for National Urban League
- *Watch Online: The Morial Legacy 2012 Video
What is Walgreens Way to Well Health Tour?
Walgreens Way to Well Health Tour hosts health fairs in Urban League cities. The national tour will provide free health resources to residents in urban and minority communities who experience disproportionately higher rates of preventable disease. The service is free and insurance will not be billed.
The health tour’s bundle of free health tests and risk assessments is designed to provide participants with personal health insights that may indicate symptoms and potential risks for cancer, heart disease and diabetes. Tests include total cholesterol, glucose, blood pressure, body mass index, body composition, skeletal muscle, resting metabolism, visceral fat, real body age and body weight. Collectively, the health tests valued at over $100, are administered to adults age 18 years and older by certified wellness staff and can be completed in approximately 20 minutes. Afterward, participants will consult with a Walgreens pharmacist or certified wellness staff about his or her results.
Also available with the tour are educational health and wellness resources provided by NUL as well as Walgreens Way to Well cause partners: American Heart Association (AHA), American Cancer Society (ACS), American Diabetes Association (ADA), Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) and Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
Where is it?
To learn when the Way to Well Health Tour is serving a neighborhood near you, visit www.walgreens.com/waytowell.
Who sponsors it?
Last year, Walgreens established the Walgreens Way to Well Commitment®, a four-year, $100 million initiative to improve the everyday health of Americans nationwide. The initiative is dedicated to providing accessible, affordable resources for prevention and early detection of chronic diseases – heart disease, cancer and diabetes. Heart disease and cancer are the two leading causes of death among minorities in the U.S., while diabetes is the nation’s fastest-growing disease over the past decade, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Way to Well Health Tour is partially funded by consumers who support the Walgreens wellness services mission by purchasing Walgreens brand health and wellness products. Beginning February 1, 2012 through January 31, 2013, 1¢ from the purchase of every Walgreens brand health and wellness product, up to $3 million annually, will support bringing preventive wellness services to local communities through the Walgreens Way to Well Fund®.
American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383)
American Heart Association at 1-800-AHA-USA1 (1-800-242-8721)
American Stroke Association at 1-888-4-stroke (1-888-478-7653)