- *Support Our Petition: Raise the Minimum Wage
- *National Urban League Helps Young People Enter and Succeed in the Workforce
- *Jobs Rebuild America: More than a Slogan
- *National Urban League Applauds Introduction of Voting Rights Amendment Act of 2014
- *National Urban League Response to State of the Union Address
Homeownership may be the single most important asset-building strategy for individuals and families. Homes hold significant value, often appreciate over time, and can be passed down from generation to generation.
So, why is the rate of homeownership for African American and other families of color far behind that of Whites? NUL believes that the sub-prime and predatory lending practices that has helped cause the foreclosure crisis is partially to blame.
The NUL Homeownership Preparation program, in partnership with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), NeighborWorks America, and many national and local nonprofits, financial institutions, and housing experts was designed to address these challenges.
NUL affiliates employ trained, experienced housing counselors and support staff to provide a wide range of homeownership services in both one-to-one and group settings. Services include:
- Pre-purchase one-to-one homebuyer counseling
- One-to-one foreclosure prevention counseling
- Pre-purchase and post-purchase group homebuyer education
- Financial education
- Reverse, or Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) assistance
- Home maintenance
- Rental housing assistance
- Homeless services
NUL also participates in the National Foreclosure Mitigation Counseling program (NFMC).