- *We Strongly Support the Confirmation of Mayor Anthony Foxx as the Next Secretary of Transportation
- *Indianapolis Urban League: 11th Annual Equal Opportunity Day Luncheon
- *Marc Morial Outlines Urban League Programs In Senate Testimony
- *National Urban League Announces Launch of a New Small Business Lending Arm
- *Obama Nominates Mayor Anthony Foxx Transportation Secretary
- *The Urban Agenda and the Second Obama Administration
- *See the Latest Press Coverage of the State of Black America
- *Marriott stay can make a difference for National Urban League
- *Equal Opportunity Day Awards Gala 2012/2013
- *Watch Online: The Morial Legacy 2012 Video
Homeownership may be the single most important asset-building strategy for individuals and families. Homes hold significant value, often appreciate over time, and can be passed down from generation to generation.
So, why is the rate of homeownership for African American and other families of color far behind that of Whites? NUL believes that the sub-prime and predatory lending practices that has helped cause the foreclosure crisis is partially to blame.
The NUL Homeownership Preparation program, in partnership with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), NeighborWorks America, and many national and local nonprofits, financial institutions, and housing experts was designed to address these challenges.
NUL affiliates employ trained, experienced housing counselors and support staff to provide a wide range of homeownership services in both one-to-one and group settings. Services include:
- Pre-purchase one-to-one homebuyer counseling
- One-to-one foreclosure prevention counseling
- Pre-purchase and post-purchase group homebuyer education
- Financial education
- Reverse, or Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) assistance
- Home maintenance
- Rental housing assistance
- Homeless services
NUL also participates in the National Foreclosure Mitigation Counseling program (NFMC).